City Year Columbia
The weather isn’t the only thing that’s hot here. Our passion and dedication are ignited to help Columbia’s students build on their strengths, take risks in their learning and feel connected to their school community.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Columbia AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Columbia
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 82% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 95% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 63% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 86% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- City Year AmeriCorps Members, according to one partner teacher, “are an extra pair of hands, eyes and heart to help those who struggle. I have a few students who come to school with issues from home. Just the walk from the cafeteria with a City Year makes a huge difference in their day. They feel loved, safe and able to deal with the day.”
Students who are engaged and see the relevance in what they are learning will show up to class on time and not drop out. I challenge our teachers, schools and districts to find students' passions and offer them opportunities so that they can be successful. If we do this, our graduation rates will continue to climb and our dropout rate will get even lower.
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Your ballot counts! Take a few minutes to help City Year share its vision for advancing educational equity and supporting...Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Throughout the pandemic, City Year’s Network for School Improvement has helped educators find new ways to prioritize the well-being of...Read more about Advancing educational equity with the Network for School Improvement during COVID-19
The challenges of COVID-19 showed how essential student success coaches can be. AmeriCorps members collaborated with teachers and communities to...Read more about What the COVID-19 pandemic taught us about supporting students and practitioners
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 24 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 1,333 students in Columbia.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.
Learn more about partnering