City Year Columbia
The weather isn’t the only thing that’s hot here. Our passion and dedication are ignited to help Columbia’s students build on their strengths, take risks in their learning and feel connected to their school community.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Columbia AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Columbia
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 82% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 95% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 63% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 86% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- City Year AmeriCorps Members, according to one partner teacher, “are an extra pair of hands, eyes and heart to help those who struggle. I have a few students who come to school with issues from home. Just the walk from the cafeteria with a City Year makes a huge difference in their day. They feel loved, safe and able to deal with the day.”
Students who are engaged and see the relevance in what they are learning will show up to class on time and not drop out. I challenge our teachers, schools and districts to find students' passions and offer them opportunities so that they can be successful. If we do this, our graduation rates will continue to climb and our dropout rate will get even lower.
Your ballot counts! Help City Year bring together educators to discuss how to prioritize anti-racist research strategies in education.Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Student success coaching represents what we’ve learned from our decade-and-a-half of serving in schools and hope to do alongside students,...Read more about The six drivers of student success coaching
Establishing a Student Success Corps would help increase capacity in systemically under-resourced schools and help improve student engagement and graduation...Read more about Student success coaches can help students graduate
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 24 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 1,333 students in Columbia.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.
Learn more about partnering