City Year Cleveland
Cleveland’s revitalized downtown, lakefront park and world-class museums make this low-key Midwestern city a cool place to be. For more than two decades, City Year AmeriCorps members have served Cleveland’s schools, helping students to thrive.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Cleveland
- 55% of students tutored by City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 47% of students tutored by City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Fewer off-track students
- 59% of City Year students who started the year with a D or F in English Language Arts courses ended the year with an A, B or C
- 57% of City Year students who started the year with a D or F in math courses ended the year with an A, B or C
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 94% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 80% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 66% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 97% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
City Year volunteers ensure that so many young Americans – regardless of their zip codes – have the opportunity to succeed. As a two-time City Year dad, I know how hard City Year volunteers work to bridge the gap between education and opportunity in our local communities.
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Your ballot counts! Take a few minutes to help City Year share its vision for advancing educational equity and supporting...Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Throughout the pandemic, City Year’s Network for School Improvement has helped educators find new ways to prioritize the well-being of...Read more about Advancing educational equity with the Network for School Improvement during COVID-19
The challenges of COVID-19 showed how essential student success coaches can be. AmeriCorps members collaborated with teachers and communities to...Read more about What the COVID-19 pandemic taught us about supporting students and practitioners
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Our 76 AmeriCorps members positively impact more than 3,200 students in Cleveland.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.