City Year Cleveland
Cleveland’s revitalized downtown, lakefront park and world-class museums make this low-key Midwestern city a cool place to be. For more than two decades, City Year AmeriCorps members have served Cleveland’s schools, helping students to thrive.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Cleveland
- 55% of students tutored by City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 47% of students tutored by City Year Cleveland AmeriCorps members met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Fewer off-track students
- 59% of City Year students who started the year with a D or F in English Language Arts courses ended the year with an A, B or C
- 57% of City Year students who started the year with a D or F in math courses ended the year with an A, B or C
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 94% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 80% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 66% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 97% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
City Year volunteers ensure that so many young Americans – regardless of their zip codes – have the opportunity to succeed. As a two-time City Year dad, I know how hard City Year volunteers work to bridge the gap between education and opportunity in our local communities.
Bringing ‘Hour of Code’ and established afterschool programs to online learning is keeping students connected during COVID-19Read more about Taking an Hour of Code break during virtual learning
Help City Year win a chance to present at SXSW EDU 2021 on the role of the City Year AmeriCorps...Read more about Vote for City Year to present at SXSW EDU 2021
How can educators help distance learners feel like an important part of their school community? Read about one school’s approach:...Read more about Fostering student belonging during distance learning
As the school year begins in the wake of a pandemic, this story outlines how can we help students and...Read more about Bringing civic engagement into a virtual world: Giving Compass
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Our 76 AmeriCorps members positively impact more than 3,200 students in Cleveland.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.