To commemorate the beloved community and the vision of Martin Luther King, Jr., City Year Cleveland invites you for a day “on," instead of a day “off." This year, City Year Cleveland is partnering with the Alfred A. Benesch Elementary School to beautify the building.
Volunteers will be painting interior doors with motivational messages to encourage a productive learning environment. Additional projects include book sorting and bookmark making (in partnership with the Cleveland Kids' Book Bank), other interior beautification projects, and other kid-centered projects in partnership with local agencies. We will also be announcing a Call for Submissions for a mural to be hung on the outside of the building this spring.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- When you volunteer your time, you not only get a t-shirt and lunch, but you also get to work alongside the dedicated AmeriCorps members who are in the schools all day, every day.
- When you sponsor a volunteer opportunity, you help offset the cost to City Year Cleveland and Alfred A. Benesch for hosting this community celebration, purchasing supplies, and funding and hanging a large custom mural to be displayed on the exterior wall to inspiring learning and school pride.
MLK Jr. Day of Service Timeline
- Volunteer Arrival: 9:00 am
- Registration and Breakfast: 9:00 am to 9:30 am
- Program and Service: 9:30 am to 2:00 pm