On Monday January 15th, 2018, volunteers will join City Year's 2,500+ AmeriCorps members at locations across the United States to participate in a day of service. City Year commemorates the civil rights movement and honors the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by celebrating Dr. King's birthday as a "day ON, not a day off" through service projects such as mural and wall painting, restoring park areas, landscaping community spaces, and leading educational activities for children.
Here at City Year Chicago, we've been celebrating MLK Day since our inception in the Windy City in 1994. The diversity of the schools we choose to serve represent the essence of the American Dream that all children deserve a "free" education that will take them to and through college and into careers.
Hundreds of volunteers from across the city and state will come together on this day to transform and beautify Gale Community Academy with murals, painting and light construction projects in an effort to reconnect, transform, uplift, and inspire the students, staff, and community.
Questions about serving on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? Contact Miles Miller, City Year Chicago's Civic Engagement Outreach Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in sponsorship opportunities? Contact Sam Sadlier, Senior Civic Engagement and Events Manager at email@example.com for more information.
8:30 AM - 9:30 AM: Registration
9:30 AM – 10 AM: Opening Ceremony
10 AM – 12:30 PM: Service
12:30 PM - 12:45 PM: Closing Ceremony
12:45 PM - 1:30 PM: Optional Lunch and Rogers Park Open House
- Registration/Opening Ceremony Location: Gale Community Academy (1631 W Jonquil Terrace, Chicago, IL 60626)
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age with adult supervision to serve
- Due to limited parking, we encourage you to please take public transportation
- Please dress appropriately for both physical service and the weather (you might get dirty)
- Lunch will be provided! If you have any dietary restrictions, we would encourage you to provide your own lunch