On Monday, January 21, 2019, volunteers will join City Year's 3,000+ AmeriCorps members at locations across the United States to participate in a day of service. City Year commemorates the civil rights movement and honors the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by celebrating Dr. King's birthday as a "day ON, not a day off" through service projects such as mural and wall painting, restoring park areas, landscaping community spaces, and leading educational activities for children.
Here at City Year Chicago, we've been celebrating MLK Day since our inception in the Windy City in 1994. The diversity of the schools we choose to serve represent the essence of the American Dream that all children deserve a "free" education that will take them to and through college and into careers.
Hundreds of volunteers from across the city and state will come together on this day to transform and beautify Deneen School fo Excellence with murals, painting and light construction projects in an effort to reconnect, transform, uplift, and inspire the students, staff, and community.
Questions about serving on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? Contact Candace Karlin, Civic Engagement Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers spots are limited and available on a first come, first served basis
9:00 AM: Opening Program
10:00 AM: Service begins
2:00 PM: Service ends
- Registration/Opening Ceremony Location: Deneen School of Excellence (7257 South State Street, Chicago, IL)
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to attend
- Due to limited parking, we encourage you to please take public transportation
- Please dress appropriately for both physical service and the weather (you might get dirty)
- Lunch will be provided! If you have any dietary restrictions, we would encourage you to provide your own lunch