Louisiana State University
City Year is proud to partner with Louisiana State University, the first public university in the country to formalize a university partnership. Civic engagement and community service are central to Louisiana State University’s mission and remain the highest priorities that guide its strategic plan.
Louisiana State University offers City Year AmeriCorps members, alums and staff
A 100% tuition scholarship will be awarded to a minimum of two City Year applicants per year who enroll full time in a degree-granting graduate-level program at Louisiana State’s flagship Baton Rouge campus. Awards do not extend to the Law Center, Health Sciences Center or Louisiana State University Online.
Scholarship recipients must be first-year, first-semester graduate students (not returning) admitted to a graduate program with regular admission status (GPA 3.0 or higher). Students with academic or disciplinary probation will not be considered.
Scholarships include a graduate internship with the Office of Community-University Partnerships, up to 10 hours per week for two semesters of the graduate program. Scholars will likely work on programming related to K-12 education, with opportunities to serve some hours at City Year Baton Rouge. The internship will not prevent scholars from pursuing employment external to campus.
Additional fees are NOT covered, including the academic excellence fee, building use fee, operational fee, required activity fee, registration fee, student excellence fee, tech fee, etc.
Scholarships are awarded to City Year AmeriCorps members and alums who completed at least one term of service and City Year staff employed for at least two years.
Applicants will be considered for additional merit-based aid but cannot hold a graduate assistantship position and a tuition waiver award simultaneously. If an applicant accepts a graduate assistantship position, the tuition waiver award is canceled.
- Application fee waiver for both undergraduate and graduate programs
- Enrollment deferral: Louisiana State’s Graduate School cannot guarantee that requests to defer enrollment will be granted. Once admitted, students must send a request for deferment in writing to the Enrollment Management Office. Within the request, indicate your reason for the deferment (City Year service) and the future semester to which you wish to defer. Once the request is received and reviewed, a decision will be mailed to you. Deferments are NOT offered for undergraduate degree programs.
Why City Year loves Louisiana State University
Enriched by Louisiana’s natural and cultural distinctiveness, the community of learning at Louisiana State University readies students to meet the environmental, social, economic, scientific, creative and educational challenges that confront us locally and globally in the 21st century. Learning together, the students and the faculty who translate discovery into purpose make Louisiana State University a beacon of excellence.
It represents the largest institution of higher education in the state and is the only public university in the state to be designated a Carnegie Research University with Very High Research Activity. Among a handful of distinguished universities to enjoy Land, Sea and Space Grant status, Louisiana State University offers vital research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students as it transforms new technology into enterprise and lends expertise to solve endemic problems.
Undergraduate programs: Begin your online application. Submit your official high school transcript and official ACT/SAT test scores to complete the application process.
Graduate programs: Begin your online application. Submit your official transcript and GRE or GMAT scores (as applicable) to complete the application process.
To identify your City Year affiliation
Please self-identify your City Year affiliation on your résumé and/or application.
To access the application fee waiver and apply for the scholarship
Undergraduate programs (application fee waiver only)
- Save your online application prior to submission.
- Contact email@example.com to request a verification letter. This letter will be emailed by City Year directly to firstname.lastname@example.org (you will be CC’d). Once your City Year affiliation has been confirmed, the application fees will be paid from the Academic Support Fund.
- Submit your official high school transcript and official ACT/SAT test scores to complete the application process.
Graduate programs (application fee waiver)
- Save your online application prior to submission.
- Before submitting the application (when you reach the point where payment is necessary), contact email@example.com to request a service verification letter. Once this letter is emailed back to you, complete this fee waiver request form and upload your service verification letter to the form. Once your City Year affiliation has been confirmed, the application fees will be paid from the Academic Support Fund.
Graduate programs (tuition scholarship consideration)
- Complete the Louisiana State University City Year Partnership Award application form.
- Upload your service verification letter
- Upload a résumé. Résumés cannot exceed three pages and should include your comprehensive educational background and cumulative grade point averages of any previously granted undergraduate or graduate degrees. Résumés should also include your contact information (phone number, email address).
- Upload a personal statement that is no longer than 500 words, regarding your service through City Year and its impact on your educational goals
- Submit two letters of recommendation from persons who can speak to your time with City Year (i.e. an impact manager, impact director, school administrator, teacher, etc.).
Once you complete the Louisiana State University City Year Partnership Award application, your City Year affiliation and graduate admission status will be confirmed, and you will be considered for the City Year Graduate Tuition Award. The 2023 application period is March 27-April 21. Award recipients will be announced by May 30 May 30.
To contact the admissions office
To contact the undergraduate admissions office, please call (225) 578-1175 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the graduate admissions office, please call (225) 578-2311 or email email@example.com.
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. AmeriCorps members, alums and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. Please pay close attention to deadlines and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.