School Day Learning Coach (25 hours/week)
We're now accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year. City Year AmeriCorps members play a critical role in helping students reconnect with their school community, re-engage in their learning and recover from learning loss as a result of COVID-19.
About City Year
City Year, an AmeriCorps program, helps students across schools succeed. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide support, helping to ensure that students in systematically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them with the skills and mindset to thrive and contribute to their community.
What You’ll Do
As a school day learning coach serving as a City Year AmeriCorps member, your service will focus on coaching and mentoring elementary, middle and/or high school students. You will help these students earn academic success, improve their attendance, learn social-emotional skills and develop positive behaviors at school. You will plan and monitor individual student progress and also work with teachers on whole class instruction, breakout spaces and other in-class student assistance.
Role and Responsibilities
Support academic coaching and social-emotional development for students:
- Work with identified students one-on-one and in small groups
- Develop literacy and/or math skills varying learning activities by student level, answering student questions and encouraging assignment completion
- Create and implement a behavior management system for students
- Use proven strategies of learning, practicing, reflection and repetition to help students build social-emotional skills
- Collaborate with teachers and team members to collect, record, analyze and monitor individual student progress, participating in facilitated reviews of student data collected and entered into City Year’s student data system
- Create an engaging, safe and healthy classroom space in collaboration with the teacher
Experience in all these tasks is not necessary. We provide two-four weeks of training at the beginning of the year to support you. You will work with partner teachers and school staff every step of the way.
This role works fixed schedule of approximately 25 hours per week, supporting classroom learning in our partner schools five days a week. Scheduled hours vary by location, but the expectation is that this role works a consistent, set schedule during the school day. For special training and site-wide events, this role may be required to occasionally work hours outside their typical schedule.
This role begins in July/August. Start dates vary by location.
City Year Benefits
You will receive:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Curalinc Employee Assistance Program
- Talkspace Therapy Program
- Benefit Advocate Center
- Biweekly living stipend
- Workers’ compensation
- Relocation support
- Benefits specific to City Year location
- Career partners
- University partnerships and scholarships
- City Year / AmeriCorps Uniform parts
AmeriCorps and Other Federally Issued Benefits
You will be eligible for:
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Income-based loan repayment plan for qualified student loans
City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities we serve. We’re looking for you if you want to build yourself, give back and are ready to change the world.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time.)
- Have a GED or high school diploma, some college experience or college degree
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program*
- Agree to complete a background check
How to Apply
Submit your application online. For more information on how to apply, visit: https://www.cityyear.org/apply-now.
This role is also available exclusively to Returning AmeriCorps members in:
I'm ready to apply!
Great! We’re excited to get to work with you and support our communities together while you learn valuable skills for the future.Start application Connect with a recruiter Learn more
City Year strives to offer continued support to its AmeriCorps members. Read on to learn more about our new Continuation...Read more about FAQs about the Continuation of Service Benefit
Impact Managers are an integral part of the City Year experience and offer Corps members support and build trusting relationships...Read more about Impact Managers make a difference
Serving with City Year can help lay the foundation for a career in social work. Learn more about service with...Read more about Support student well-being as a school social worker
City Year AmeriCorps members make great mentors for the students we serve. Learn more about what it takes to be...Read more about Five qualities that will make you a great mentor
* Individuals may receive no more than the value of two full time education awards. If you have received the equivalent of more than one full time education award, you are eligible to serve and receive a discounted award.