About City Year
City Year is an education-focused, nonprofit organization founded in 1988 that partners with public schools to help keep students in school and on track to graduate. In communities across the United States and through two international affiliates, this innovative public-private partnership brings together teams of young AmeriCorps members who commit to a year of full-time service in schools. Corps members support students by focusing on attendance, behavior and course performance through in-class tutoring, mentoring and after school programs
Our Impact in Washington, DC
City Year Washington, DC places 156 corps members in 13 public schools throughout Washington, DC. Our corps members make an impact in students' lives every day.
Results from 2011 - 2012 academic year.
- Of 6-9th grade students corps members worked with who were sliding off/off-track in attendance, 59% had moved back on-track by the end of the year.
- 96% of principals agreed that corps members impacted the overall attendance of their students.
- 9 out of 10 students agreed that City Year helped them believe they could succeed.
- 95% of K-5 students who received literacy tutoring improved their literacy assessment score, with 41% of those students improving by an entire proficiency level.
- 70% of students in grades 6-9 who received targeted interventions stayed on-track or improved their English grade.
- 4 out of 5 teachers agreed that corps members provided essential academic supports that students would not have otherwise received.