“Today, I’m issuing a challenge… let us all make turning around our schools our collective responsibility as Americans. And that will require new investments in innovative ideas.”
– President Barack Obama
NEW! In School & On Track: Scaling City Year’s Impact: Growth Plans to Reach 50% of the Off Track Students in City Year’s 24 U.S. Locations
Every 26 Seconds a Student Gives Up on School in America
- High school dropouts are three times more likely than college graduates to be unemployed
- High school dropouts are eight times more likely to be in jail or prison than high school graduates
- Barely 50% of all African American students and less than 66% of Hispanic students will graduate with their class.
- The more than 12 million students projected to drop out over the next decade will cost the nation $3 trillion in the coming decade.
We Know the Students Who Will Drop Out of High School
- Students who exhibit at least one of three off-track indicators – poor attendance, unsatisfactory behavior, course failure in math and English – as early as the 6th grade have less than a 25% chance of graduating from high school.
- 50% of our nation’s dropouts come from 12% (2,000) of our nation’s high schools.
City Year: Keeping Students In School & On Track
"As we think about what City Year can do going forward, we need greater scale so that in all of your locations, we think about doubling, tripling, quadrupling your presence."
– Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
at City Year's National Leadership Summit
To read Secretary Duncan's complete remarks at the Leadership Summit, click here.
City Year leverages the talent, energy and idealism of corps members who serve as tutors, mentors and role models to help students stay on track – and get back on track – to graduate.
City Year’s In School & On Track initiative is designed to bring City Year corps members to 50% of all of the students falling off track in City Year’s 24 U.S. locations, which will require expanding the number of corps members to 6,000 nationally.
To learn more about City Year's In School & On Track initiative: