Job Title: Service Manager
Site: City Year Los Angeles
City: Los Angeles
Reporting to the Senior Service Director, the Service Manager is responsible for the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of service implementation, observation and coaching of service quality delivered in 21 LAUSD schools by Senior Corps Members and Corps Members. The Service Manager’s responsibilities will be split 75% field-based, with the remaining 25% spent in the office. Field based responsibilities include, but are not limited to, visiting 1-3 schools a day, providing quality team trainings around service implementation, supporting Corps Members’ and Program Managers’ logistical and service priorities. Office-based duties include, but are not limited to recording information obtained during field visits, regular meetings with Service team and Program Directors, monitoring teams’ progress towards impact goals, and the delivery of monthly reports and service impact evaluations. On Fridays, the Service Manager coordinates and delivers training to Corps Members around the evaluation of service outcomes. In short, the Service Manager ensures that Corps Members are delivering high quality service that addresses critical community need through meaningful interventions and quality academic support that increases student achievement.
Field Service Impact & Evaluation
• Perform on-site consultations and coaching to Corps Members around service implementation (math and literacy tutoring, use of data, planning, behavior coaching, etc.), use of service tools, and general work in schools (teacher relationships, student relationships, etc.).
• Provide feedback to Program and Service leadership around on-ground service implementation.
• Visit 3-8 schools a week.
• Coach Program staff on implementation of service model.
• Support school teams around literacy and math initiatives and events.
• Assist Senior Service Director in developing, innovating and enhancing service models in response to observed needs.
• Coach Program Managers around service priorities and implementation.
• Ensure service excellence and attainment of impact goals.
• Assist Senior Service Director in managing and developing service products and pilots.
• Observe ASP programs at school sites for service effectiveness.
• Support Evaluation Manager in assessing impact.
Service Partner Management
• Assist Program Directors and Program Managers in managing school partner relationships
Corps Member Training & Development
• Provide support to Training Director and Program staff with all corps member learning, training and service evaluation.
• Provide on-site trainings for school based teams.
• Provide service content and tools for corps member learning, training and service excellence.
• Share best practices with Program staff around service excellence and impact.
• Partner with City Year Los Angeles departments and staff through applicant interview process, stakeholder engagement, service day and event participation and cross-departmental committees as needed to ensure site-wide goals are met.
• Team with Senior Service Director to create relevant service related professional development opportunities for staff members.
• BA/BS degree.
• 3+ years of classroom teaching experience.
• Experience with English Language Learners a plus.
• Tutoring experience a plus.
• Experience with Los Angeles Unified School District preferred.
• Proficiency in MS Excel.
• Aware of importance of outreach, relationships, and partnerships in advancing organizational mission and recognizes opportunities for collaboration.
• Able to link organizational mission to individual work, and supports development and implementation of departmental or program strategy.
• Holds self accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, works with and supports others (doing and modeling) to mobilize and motivate and connects tasks to organizational mission to communicate effectively internally and externally.
• Recognizes and appreciates the diversity of talent and leadership styles on a team, develops diverse talent through performance plans, reviews and leadership opportunities and aids acquisition and retention of talent.
• Conveys thoughts and ideas clearly, listens well, communicates in a solution-oriented manner and listens and incorporates others views into work.
• Links problems & symptoms to identify issues, links decisions to potential consequences, knows when to seek guidance and gets diverse input for decisions.
• Strong attention to detail and proven organizational and project management skills.
• Thrives in diverse, youthful, high energy, entrepreneurial environment.
• Experience with and commitment to community service, national service and/or the development of young people as leaders.
Compensation and benefits
Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including health insurance, vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, flexible spending account and more.
Interested qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume & references to:
Casey Eiseman, Deputy Director of HR & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: CYLA Service Manager
*Please include where you found this City Year posting
Download Full Job Description (PDF)